National Organisation of Nurses and Midwives of Malawi (NONM) is an independent professional organization, which is also operating as a trade union representing nurses and midwives of Malawi. NONM is a non-partisan organization whose vision is to have a strong, vibrant, and visionary organisation that will result into a membership of nurses/midwives that are motivated and empowered.
Its mission is to promote and maintain the members’ professional interests and socio-economic welfare to effectively contribute to quality healthcare services rendered to the people of Malawi. Currently, a vacancy has arisen for the position of Administrative Assistant in the NONM/NNO Closing the gap. Competent and motivated nurses and midwives capable of addressing the populations current and emerging health needs. NONM, therefore invites applications from suitable and interested candidates for contract employment in this position for a duration of 3 years subject to renewal.
2.0 The Position
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Administrative Assistant shall handle all matters relating to NONM’s administration, operations, and staff welfare and shall advise the Executive Director on all issues that require his attention in these areas accordingly.
3.0 Responsibilities and Duties
The ideal candidate will be expected to fulfill the following responsibilities and duties.
Office management and administration
- Lead the administrative support and running of the on a daily basis,
- Undertake receptionist dunes including screening of visitors to ascertain the nature of their business and/or visit and answer all their routine questions;
- Carryout bookkeeping and accounting responsibility regarding Petty Cash;
- Handle in-coming and out-going telephones, and enquiries in a polite, responsible and efficient manner;
- Manage and process communication and information, i.e. involving typing, emails, photocopying, faxing and management of maintenance of communication equipment;
- Undertake proofreading of documents, as and when required, to ensure accuracy
- Manage the NONM archives system
- File all official documents; and
- Manage Stores.
Operations and logistics Under the guidance of the Executive Director:
- Arrange logistics for meeting/workshops, catering, travel arrangements, accommodations for staff and visitors, members and clients, etc.
- Record and report, In his/her secretarial capacity, all deliberations during meetings as directed by the Executive Director;
- Handle sale of obsolete Project Articles – those due for disposal – and maintain records;
- Maintain the Project Appointments Calendar, make and confirm scheduled appointments;
- Handle vehicles and maintenance issues, and ensure adequate support and controls;
- Handle utilities issue i.e. water and electricity bills;
- Handle occupational health and safety issues involving staff;
- Deal with environment cleanliness and maintenance of equipment and buildings;
- Handle Real Estate Management issues with the Executive Director,
Conduct and Discipline
- Assist other Project staff with similar duties in their absence
- Assisting staff on security management issues
- Assisting management on discipline, conduct and behavior of staff and help in instituting corrective actions;
- Lead in providing psycho-social support and assist staff in their socio-economic needs e.g. during funerals, weddings, the social club etc.
5.0 Qualifications and Experience
The incumbent must have
- At least Advanced Diploma in Business Administration or any Administrative studies from a well recognized and properly accredited institution;
- In possession a minimum of 3 years’ experience in Administration preferably in an NGO environment;
- Must possess certificates in Shorthand (100 – 120 words per minute) and Advanced Typing
- Should have good communication skills in both spoken and written English; and
- Must be computer literate (i.e. proficient in Microsoft Office, MS Excel and MS access.
6.0 Contact details for applications
Interested applicants are invited to submit letters of application enclosing CVs with at least three referees to the following address:
The Ag Executive Director,
National Organisation of Nurses and Midwives of Malawi (NONM),
P. O. Box 30393,
Physical Address Area 13/137 African Unity Drive City Centre, Opposite Area 13 Mosque
The closing date for receiving applications is 10th August, 2020