The Accountant is a key member of the finance team. S/he will play a pivotal role in ensuring adherence to financial policies, activity policies and procedures, regulations, controls, and reporting systems. The Accountant will provide accounting and financial analysis support to the project and will ensure submission of financial reports based on internal deadlines. This position will ensure compliance of all accounting and financial reporting functions. Responsible for recording costs and day to day general accounting, accounts receivable/payable, payroll, risk management, managing partner relationships, assuring all backup documentation is audit ready, and troubleshooting accounting issues. The individual is also responsible for cash flow analyses, and the overall financial well-being of the activity.
Financial Reviews and Internal Control
- The Accountant will ensure accountability, internal control development and enforcement as per the guidelines. Specifically, the Accountant shall be responsible for reviewing client claims, sub grantee advances and staff advances submitted for reimbursement for compliance to operational and financial procedures.
- Review expenditure accountability documentation to ensure completeness, adequacy and full compliance with WEI and donor regulations.
- In liaison with the Finance Manager, support partner organisations to build strong and sound financial management practices in compliance with the accountable grantee agreements.
- Ensure there is adequate cash in both the bank account and the mobile platforms.
Financial accounting and reporting
- Managing working advance sub grantee-ledgers in accordance with laid down procedures and posting financial transactions into the QuickBooks.
- Posting transactions in QuickBooks using appropriate general ledger codes and sub-codes.
- Track all PEPFAR expenditures by sub-codes using PEPFAR guidance.
- Assist in posting transactions in QuickBooks.
- Preparing monthly bank and mobile money account reconciliation statements for review by the Finance Manager.
- Send monthly accounts to the Boston Head Office including updated QuickBooks Database and supporting documentation.
- Work closely with procurement management team for all approvals and purchasing of equipment and supplies.
- Undertakes other accounting functions such as review staff advances, liquidations, preparation of VAT claims reports, and filing of VAT and Pension returns.
- Preparing staff payroll and remitting statutory deductions on a timely basis.
- Conduct financial support to partner organisations in financial management skills.
- Any other legally accepted duties and roles as may be assigned by the Finance Manager from time to time.
- Participate in the internal procurement committee and provide financial technical guidance on procurement matters.
- Review monthly fuel consumption reports, vehicle repairs and maintenance and asset registers.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and abilities Required
- Demonstrated leadership skills with experience in senior financial management position preferably with an International NGO.
- Demonstrated knowledge of internal controls and audit processes (e.g. procurement, local subcontract agreements, etc.)
- In-depth knowledge of USAID financial management rules and regulations.
- Conversant with QuickBooks accounting package.
- Willingness to work as a team member, taking on additional tasks as needed to ensure the overall success of the project.
- High level of attention to detail, ability to multitask and work well under pressure.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and in a culturally sensitive environment.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.Minimum Qualifications
A Bachelors’ degree or higher in accounting, finance, or a related field is required, plus ACCA or CIMA qualification.
4+ years of relevant experience and progressive responsibility in finance and accounting; experience working on USAID-funded activities preferred.
How to apply
Applications will be received until 5 August 2020 or a rolling basis until the position is filled. To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, CV, and three references (including name, organization, phone number, and email address) to:
Email: [email protected]
with position title in the subject line. Due to the high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.