Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded VectorLink Project. The VectorLink project supports the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt has expanded entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 25 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also supports PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Manager focuses on surveillance and information management, monitoring programmatic IRS delivery, and supporting evidence-based vector control decision-making. The M&E Manager will support the VectorLink project in Lilongwe, Malawi.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the collection, analysis, and presentation of VectorLink program data
- Implement the global project DHIS2-based database, in conjunction with the Database Manager, for data collection, management, and visualization on the VectorLink project
- Prepare and ensure timely submission of weekly progress reports and client deliverables
- Develop and/or review M&E guidelines/standards/protocols and tools
- Design, review and test M&E tools for reporting formats and data collection. These can include mobile-based tools, digitally-enumerated satellite images or atlases, and other innovations to data collection, data quality, data entry, and data reporting.
- Lead training of temporary field staff on appropriate methods of data collection, entry, reporting, and quality for IRS campaign on annual basis
- Lead periodic internal Post Spray Data Quality Assessments (PSDQAs) at the end of IRS campaigns to evaluate data accuracy and quality.
- Assist in preparing the project for possible external data quality audits to ensure validity, integrity, precision, reliability and timeliness of all performance data, identifying gaps and suggesting corrective actions on time
- Supervise/mentor the Database Manager and seasonal M&E staff hired on the project
- Work closely with the Operations Team and District Supervisors to provide routine feedback during the IRS campaign to help increase data-driven decisions
- Build DHIS2 capacity within the NMCP
- Track and report data on all project indicators to the Abt Home Office, local clients and PMI/Washington. This includes regular updating of the project’s official Monitoring and Evaluation Plan
- The position requires frequent travel to VC implementing districts and field sites for routine monitoring, program supervision, and support and frequent communication with site and home office staff to report on VC campaign progress
- Identify areas for programmatic improvements
- BS or Masters Degree (preferred) in a relevant health sector field, such as Environmental Health, Public Health, Community Health, Health Information Systems, or Health Economics
- (8) years of relevant experience with BS or (6) years with a Masters in program monitoring and evaluation and in research, with previous IRS or other malaria program experience desirable
- Experience in DHIS2, Tableau, mobile data collection platforms (ODK, CommCare, KoboCollect, EpiInfo, Fulcrum, etc.), and/or GIS satellite imagery are highly desirable
- Experience and familiarity with PMI program monitoring and evaluation, and performance monitoring desirable
- Strong analytic and quantitative database management skills, budgeting and report writing
- English language fluency
- ( 4+ ) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply