MAIN PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Information Technology Specialist’s primary responsibility is to provide support to users of new and existing technology and the local area network (LAN/WAN). The IT Specialist reports to the Senior IT Specialist and works closely with the Deputy Chief of Party and other IT and operations staff f to ensure that computer systems are maintained to ensure a continuous flow of information on all projects systems related issues.
LOCATION: Lilongwe, Malawi
- Assist with the installation and configuration of the MSH Malawi office networks, including voice and data.
- Work one-on-one with (MSH Projects) employees to resolve problems with (MSH Projects) systems issues (LAN, wide area network [WAN], software, hardware, etc.), and record problems and resolutions in the helpdesk system or any computer based system.
- Maintain the “Helpdesk” system and procedure by answering and/or assigning all requests that come through and assuring the completion of all tasks.
- Regularly assess staff training needs in computer use and maintenance, and communicate the need for training activities to the COMU Director.
- Coordinate, Plan and Implement new IT systems into the computer network environment as assigned.
- Provide technical assistance to users in the development and design of MSH related internal and external presentations, documents, reports, etc., using MSH approved software.
- Customize existing installation documentation to suit new equipment types or user configuration and keep all installation documentation current.
- Travel to local vendors for parts and repairs (including equipment transfers) as needed.
- Track and manage licenses for servers and server-based software applications (adobe, Anti-virus, Microsoft O/S and Office Productivity products).
- Assist the Senior IT Specialist in the management and maintenance of networks; including, but not limited to, adding new users and assigning user and supervisor rights; managing printers and their connections to the network; and working with contractors to maintain network hardware as required.
- Monitor the health of servers and other network devices (printers, routers, video conference systems) and network based services (Exchange messaging, Citrix, printing, ISP access, etc.). Troubleshoot and resolve network related problems that are low to moderately complex in nature.
- Learn configurations of all (MSH Projects) standard software and maintain the applications in the (MSH Projects) LAN environment.
- With the assistance of other IT staff, learn the configuration of network and assist in the maintenance of the connection to the internet, network routing, and all other internal and external network communications systems.
- Configure new and existing hardware for optimal use on MSH networks, remote access systems, and the Internet; and maintain up to date files and documentation necessary for standard installations of these configurations.
- Perform, verify and test data backup and other disaster recovery procedures to minimize loss of data.
- Liaise with the project’s Internet service providers to ensure proper functioning of the office internet connections and web server.
- Liaise with MSH Information Staff in HQ about technical matters related to information systems.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Advanced University degree in Information Science, Information Technology.
- 3 – 5+ years of related experience.
Closing date for receiving applications is 13th July 2020